Sunday, August 8, 2010

$&%* you, medications for Fibromyalgia

I have to preface this with the fact that I'm biased-drugs do bad things to me. This being said, why do they treat Fibro with anti-depressants? I know, let's take an illness that makes you lethargic, and therefore prone to weight gain, and put you on a drug that will make you tired and gain weight. SOUNDS AWESOME!

Also, the drugs usually leave you foggy-which is a symptom of Fibro for many people-one I've luckiy avoided unless I don't sleep for days on end. So how would you even know if the drug is working, I inquire? I mean, sure, if depression is part of your Fibro lot, I get it, it's a good call. But for the large percentage of us who just manifest with pain, for the most part, FIND SOMETHING ELSE. Screwing with our emotions is a bad, bad call.

Also, going off the drugs? Worse than you'd think. If you've ever seen a TV show where someone goes off of the crack, or something, and has the shakes, and the barfs, and the twitches? YEAAAAAAH. You can get that with these, too, apparently. WHO KNEW?

I was on a drug commonly used to treat seizures. Off-label, it's used for many other things, including migraines (my usage), and in some cases, Fibro. Sure, it cut down on the pain, but it made me nuts, and even seemed to enhance erratic behavior-in my case I bought too much stuff. Like, I'm selling it on eBay too much. I think I'm lucky I'm not prone to being MORE self-destructive, looking at it now.

My thoughts: why is the only drug on the market for Fibro a mental health drug when the illness is not all in our heads? and please, can't we just all spot treat this and get along? why do the doctors look at me like I'm insane when I tell them I think I'm better off right now just exercising (I dance) and eating a very restricted diet until my system stops spazzing?

No comments:

Post a Comment